POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Another 3.5 speed issue? : Re: Another 3.5 speed issue? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another 3.5 speed issue?
From: Roz
Date: 9 Aug 2002 23:46:52
Message: <3D548CE4.8040202@netscape.net>
Mark M. Wilson wrote:
> But for those of us who don't know our way around source code, how easy
> is it to find the file(s) to optimize, and make the appropriate
> changes.  I'm not just a newbie to POV, I'm a total stranger in a
> strange land when it comes to hacking.
> Is "rolling my own" a realistic option, then?
> --Mark W.

If you're unfamiliar with Makefiles and editing source files, such as
optout.h, then it would probably be easier for you to download and
use one of the prebuilt optimized binaries others have provided rather
than roll your own. Or at the very least, try downloading and installing
the new Linux binary from:

http://www.povray.org/download

It will be much faster than what you currently have and installation
should be straightforward (instructions are on the download page).

Micha Riser has provided some prebuilt binaries at the following url:

http://www.povworld.org/povray/binaries.html

Unfortunately, I cannot pull this page up right now to see what cpus
have been targeted. You have a Celeron and I'm not sure if the Pentium
optimized ones will work. It won't hurt to try though (except for
bandwidth). Just extract a prebuilt binary into its own directory and
run it from there with './povray [options] [scene-file]' (no quotes).

But at the very least, try the new one from POV-Ray's site and save
yourself some rendering time.

-Roz