POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray's Niche : Re: Povray's Niche Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:14:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray's Niche
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 8 Aug 2002 15:51:47
Message: <3D52CC07.1080200@comtrade.ee>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> The problem with the current implementation is that it's done by adding
> features and therefore it tends to create a bloated SDL with lots of more or
> less stable and meaningful keywords, as we've seen in Megapov. I really
> liked Vahur Krouverk's Povman and its implementation of Renderman shaders
> because it opens lots of opportunities, even though writing shaders is
> definitely something for programmers.

You don't have to write shaders. It is sufficient, if there is someone,
who can write. Or one can use some visual tools to compose shaders and
let machine to do everything other. I browsed caligari newsgroups and
found pretty impressive shaders for TrueSpace, created with visual
composing program ShaderMagic (http://software.gallo.sk/shadermagic/).
With such tool one can play like with lego. And there are similar tools
for RenderMan shaders (e.g. Puzikov's ShaderMan
http://www.dream.com.ua/thetool.html).
Oh, those impressive shaders for TrueSpace fake subsurface scattering
and global illuminance, great interest topics here some time ago. Some
examples:
http://forum.caligari.com/discus/messages/1585/8423.html?1028518917
http://www.geocities.com/herbie_west/shaders.html
http://forum.caligari.com/discus/messages/1585/8091.html?1027695614