POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Another 3.5 speed issue? : Re: Another 3.5 speed issue? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:27:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another 3.5 speed issue?
From: Roz
Date: 8 Aug 2002 12:35:02
Message: <3D529DEA.50502@netscape.net>
Mark Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 23:40:41 -0400, Roz wrote:
> The error Warp notes in the original binary has been fixed in the updated
> one.  Additional optimizations (e.g. Pentium II optimizations) may
> sacrifice portability, so I'm not using them in the official binary at
> this point.
>
> -Mark Gordon

Thought ya did that based on the speed I saw last night when rendering
benchmark.pov with the new binary (dated 8/7). I agree with the need
to keep it portable. That's probably why it's statically linked too.
Even so, your "compatible" optimizations improved the speed from
55m to 34m. I think that's a really good improvement!

You could also try the Intel compiler at some point if you're feeling
adventurous. From looking at Micha's speed postings, the Intel compile
was a bit faster than the gcc one.

-Roz