POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Group animation project proposal : Re: Group animation project proposal Server Time
25 Jul 2024 09:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Group animation project proposal
From: Alex McMurray
Date: 7 Aug 2002 16:40:19
Message: <3D5099C1.77F6B7B6@melbpc.org.au>
Rohan Bernett wrote:

> I have a great idea for a huge animation project. How about making a
> raytraced animated version of the Harry Potter books, chapter by
> chapter, word for word. And making the resulting animations available
> for download for free.
>
> Anybody interested in this idea?
>
> Rohan _e_ii

(devil's advocate mode_on)
Aside from the copyright side of it, which is discussed in depth by
others, the sheer scope of the books, and the speed of todays computers,
a project of this magnitude would take longer than any of has available,
in this lifetime or the next.

As for the size of the file, even a single book would run into 100's of
mb, and who would want to tie up their phone lines for days on end
waiting for the file(s) to download.

Interesting idea, but at the moment, I think, beyond the scope of a
volunteer group. (where is the group animation from years ago?).
Remember, even the studio who produced the film, spent years on the
computer graphics alone, and that was scan line rendering, not ray
tracing, which is faster to produce on a frame by frame basis.

Alex

--
  ,-._|\  Alex McMurray
 /  Oz  \ ale### [at] melbpcorgau               Melbourne PC User Group.