POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Adding a new object : Re: Adding a new object Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:35:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adding a new object
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Aug 2002 15:07:30
Message: <3D501E84.99B8A6AD@hotmail.com>
Le Forgeron wrote:

> Christopher James Huff wrote:
>
> > In article <3D4EC82C.C892E71F@hotmail.com>,
> >  John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >
> >>First, incorporate quadrilaterals into the mesh object.  This would
> >>make polygon modelling simpler.
> >>

> > That wouldn't really be a primitive, just an addition to the mesh
> > syntax. Probably quite easy, just look at how it parses triangles
> > and add code to parse a quad instead, splitting it into two
> > triangles to add to the mesh.
>
> Why stop at the quadrilateral, let's have also a plain polygon
>
> (no hole) in the mesh parser (while still storing only triangles).
> Then handling the quadrilateral is just a subcase of the generic
> polygon.

I was actually thinking of storing the quads as quads, internally,
on the guess that they can be optimized to the point that they render
faster than the two triangles that would replace each.

Maybe not.

I'm also working on my subdivision surface macros, and have found a
way to extend the Loop surface to support quadrilaterals in addition
to triangles; hence my interest in adding that to the mesh.

Regards,
John