POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 : Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2
From: Roz
Date: 3 Aug 2002 18:42:05
Message: <3D4C5C81.6080801@netscape.net>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>

>>  I am wondering if it's a good idea to keep such slow version of povray
>>for linux in www.povray.org if even gcc2 can do such good job at
>>optimizing.
>>  By the way, how is it possible that the official version is so slow? Was
>>it compiled with no optimizations at all?-o
>

>  Only -O2... but I think what make the great difference is using specific
> -mcpu and -march. Perhaps for the official distribution -O3 can be used,
> but not much more can be done, I think, except encouraging to compile the
> sources for your rendering palataform, perhaps with recommended flags. It's
> not that difficult at all: I myself have done it and I've no knowledge
> about c, c++, compilers and optimization.

Yes, the cpu targeting helps some. But it turns out to help a lot just
to get the -O2 optimization settings in both CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. The
default compiliation only put the -g -O2 flags in CFLAGS. I ran
benchmark.pov against a build with only the -O2 optimization flag in
both CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and here's the resulting times:

default options (only in CFLAGS) = 55m 40s (3340s)
-O2 optimized (in both directives) = 29m 1s (1741s)

So maybe just getting a build based on the intended optimizations would
be a good thing to provide on the POV-Ray web site.

-Roz