POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 : Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:29:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2
From: Roz
Date: 3 Aug 2002 17:01:05
Message: <3D4C44D5.7020206@netscape.net>
Micha Riser wrote:
> Roz wrote:
>

>>CXXFLAGS = -g -O3 -DCPU=athlon -march=athlon -finline-functions \
>>-fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -funroll-loops -fexpensive-optimizations \
>>-malign-double $(NOMULTICHAR)
>>

> use also -ffast-math
>
> My currently fastest binary was produced with (for gcc 3.1)
> CXXFLAGS = -Wno-multichar -O3 -ffast-math -march=pentium3 -mcpu=pentium3
> -fomit-frame-pointer -foptimize-sibling-calls -funroll-loops -malign-double
> -minline-all-stringops
>
> - Micha

I actually tried the -ffast-math option, then tried to render
balcony.pov and got spammed with the following lines repeatedly:

Warning: Illegal grid value in dda_traversal().
The height field may contain dark spots. To eliminate them
moving the camera a tiny bit should help. For more information
read the user manual!

Weird, huh? Since that scene rendered fine before the -ffast-math flag,
I figured it's better for me not to use it. Maybe it's buggy with gcc
2.96 but works with gcc 3.1?

I'll give the other flags a go and run some more benchmark renders.

-Roz