POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 : Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling 3.5 on RH7.2
From: Roz
Date: 3 Aug 2002 16:45:47
Message: <3D4C413A.8030803@netscape.net>
Warp wrote:
> Roz <Rzl### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>
>>windows prebuilt binary = 25m 48s (1548s)
>>linux prebuilt binary = 55m 40s (3340s)
>>Micha's p3 optimized = 25m 14s (1514s)
>>my gcc2.96 optimized = 28m 1s (1681s)
>

>   I am wondering if it's a good idea to keep such slow version of povray
> for linux in www.povray.org if even gcc2 can do such good job at optimizing.
>   By the way, how is it possible that the official version is so slow? Was
> it compiled with no optimizations at all?-o

It looked like the default optimization settings were "-g -O2". Now that
I think about it, that might have been only in the CFLAGS but not in the
CXXFLAGS. Yep, there's the problem. So the default compiling results in
no optimization at all because at least on my system, it's the CXXFLAGS
that are being passed to g++. I placed my optimization flags in both
CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS (leaving the NOMULTICHAR part in the CXXFLAGS
intact). Of course, my optimization settings included targeting the
Athlon architecture. But even without those machine specific flags, the
other optimizations should help.

It would be nice to have a faster pre-compiled Linux binary available
for people to use. Alternatively, maybe some optimized versions like
Micha's p3 one could be provided in addition to the generic (slow :P)
binary.

-Roz