POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : My earlier post about purging the deb : Re: My earlier post about purging the deb Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My earlier post about purging the deb
From: Roz
Date: 3 Aug 2002 16:17:19
Message: <3D4C3A93.5050707@netscape.net>
Mark M. Wilson wrote:
> Does no one really have any input on my earlier posting, or was it such
> a dumb question it didn't warrant response?
> --Mark

It's not a dumb question. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Debian
but I have some thoughts on the matter with a few caveats.

If you're going to compile POV-Ray 3.5 from source then you can probably
run through the ./configure, make to see if it compiles fine. If it
does, then it would seem to make sense to uninstall the old version and
then do the make install with 3.5.

If you're wanting to install the prebuilt binary then I would be tempted
to uninstall the old version first to avoid any possible conflicts.

The caveats are that you have a safety net and can always reinstall the
older version. I'm hoping this is the case. The other caveat is that
your personal scenes are not anywhere near the installed package. I'd
hate to see anyone wipe out their work.

Hopefully, someone with direct Debian experience can advise you better
than I can.

-Roz