POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux version is slower than windows version? : Re: Linux version is slower than windows version? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux version is slower than windows version?
From: Roz
Date: 1 Aug 2002 04:07:44
Message: <3D48EC8E.2000404@netscape.net>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
> In article <3D4### [at] netscapenet>, Roz <Rzl### [at] netscapenet>
> wrote:
>

>>Mark Gordon wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe with the Intel compiler, but probably not with gcc.  Speed is no
>>>longer a reason to use the Unix version, and it hasn't been for quite some
>>>time.
>>
>>I'm not sure what you mean by speed no longer being the reason to use
>>the Unix version. Do you mean that people using the Unix version don't
>>mind it being much slower than the Windows version? Well I'd like to see
>>it come close at least. The faster the render, the better ;)
>

> You can no longer get faster rendering by using Unix. The compiler used
> makes more of a difference than the OS, so rendering speed is no longer
> a reason to use Unix instead of Windows.

So what you're really saying is that the OS doesn't matter anymore for
rendering speed or if it did, the difference is negligible compared to
what the different compilers generate. Of course, the compiler flags
used would possbily have an impact.

I've only custom compiled the sources for 3.1g and MegaPOV 0.7 on Linux.
Both showed very good rendering speed increases, faster than the
respective precompiled Windows versions even. But a custom compiled
version 3.5 using gcc may not end up faster than the Windows version
anymore. I'm hoping it'll at least get closer ;) The newer version of
gcc, as Warp suggested, or the Intel compiler may also produce better
results. I just have to bring myself to download the 58meg file :P

I think what bothered me about Mark's statement is that it sounded like
there's no point trying to provide an optimized Unix binary because
it'll never be faster than the Windows version anyway. I realize Mark's
very busy and it's been really nice to have a Unix binary version to use
prior to the source code being released. Hopefully compiling from source
will boost that rendering speed up!

-Roz