POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Linux version is slower than windows version? : Re: Linux version is slower than windows version? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux version is slower than windows version?
From: Roz
Date: 31 Jul 2002 12:48:09
Message: <3D481505.6060408@netscape.net>
Mark Gordon wrote:
> Maybe with the Intel compiler, but probably not with gcc.  Speed is no
> longer a reason to use the Unix version, and it hasn't been for quite some time.

I'm not sure what you mean by speed no longer being the reason to use
the Unix version. Do you mean that people using the Unix version don't
mind it being much slower than the Windows version? Well I'd like to see
it come close at least. The faster the render, the better ;)

I rendered the Balcony scene from the advanced sample scenes and the
Windows version was noticeably faster: 505s for Windows, 785s for Unix
(Linux). Both version 3.5, same machine, same settings.

I figured that you had compiled the Unix version with the mindset of
targeting the widest possible cpu compatibility (i.e. 386 on up). I'm
just guessing though as I didn't watch you build the binary ;)

Perhaps a 2nd binary version targeted at higher end machines could be
provided? Just a thought. I appreciate that there's a Unix version at all!

Once the source is available, then this may become a non-issue anyway :)

-Roz