POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [WIP] cigarette smoke (120ko) : Re: [WIP] cigarette smoke (120ko) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [WIP] cigarette smoke (120ko)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 29 Jul 2002 21:02:12
Message: <3D45E58D.2050206@caltel.com>
Hello Julien. That's a very good cigarette (if ever there was such a
thing ;). I was thinking a week ago about maybe trying to use an
extruded patch and then placing a semi-transparent pigment onto it using
uv_mapping. This way, it might be possible to create the swirls smoke
has when it is in a room with little wind.

Julien Gourdon wrote:

> Hi all
> This is one of my first attempts to make a kind of cigarette smoke.
> It is a 800x600 with AA 0.3 render, with radiosity and 4 (I'll explain)
> light sources (the 'sun' is an area_light). It took 4 hours on my XP
> 2000+ to render.
> The smoke itself is a cone filled with a media whose density is a
> function of my own. I had lots of pbs with the function, because if I
> want a shape that matches most a real cigarette smoke's one, the
> function must be very complex, and the render time reachs the sky. And
> because of the color too. It seems that if I want blue reflects in the
> scattering media, I need to set up his color to something like <1, 1,
> 0.5>. I understand it for absorption, but what about defuse light in
> scattering media ? Am I forgetting someting ? Finally I choose a
> scattering media with a very little extinction, and some emission and
> absorption.
> Not much to say about the ashtray and the cigarette (and no words about
> the ugly environment :pp). The cigarette is just two cylinders with
> color_maps. The red glowing part (sorry for my bad english) is two mixed
> isosurfaces, one filled with a grey pigment, and the other with a red
> emitting media. There are three red fading lights around the glowing
> part, to make a red glow on the ashtray and on the smoke. This surely
> needs to be improved, because of what happens on render time :(
>
> Any comments, suggestions, questions ? Does anyone know how to make
> realistic cigarette smoke ?

Samuel Benge

sbe### [at] caltelcom