POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Photon problems? : Re: Photon problems? Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photon problems?
From: earthdog
Date: 10 Jul 2002 11:43:42
Message: <3D2C5636.9030700@NOSPAMevil3d.net>
TinCanMan wrote:
>>I've posted the source for the scene in povray.text.scene-files.  I
>>wouldn't think the scene is scaled abnormally.  The sphere is one
>>pov-unit in radius.  The camera is location<-7,6,-4>.  I'm stumped.
>>
>>-- Jeff
>>

> Yeah I see that now.  I think it is as ingo said.  The light source is too
> close to the object.  The resulting photons get spread out too much to cover
> the entire object. In order to get smoother results at this distance you
> need to play with the various settings, either increase 'count' or deacrease
> 'spacing' (use only one of the two as they mutually exclusive, only one is
> used if both are specified), also try increasing 'radius'.
>
> -tgq

Thanks for the help.  As I told Ingo, I used his suggestions and got rid
of any 'count' reference and decreased my spacing and added a glass
cylinder.  I may have gone overboard with 'spacing 0.001'.  I took about
6 minutes to open up this reply window while pov sorts ~18,000,000
photons -- not to mention other open apps on my desktops.  So far, the
results look good, using the just released 3.5 final.  Seems very
stable.  I think if there were a memory leak in the linux version, I'd
have found it :).