POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : After long absence... Vegetation at Work! : Re: After long absence... Vegetation at Work! Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: After long absence... Vegetation at Work!
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Jul 2002 14:25:43
Message: <3D2B2AB8.56D25D80@gmx.de>
> Looks nice but what is parsing time? Have you compared parsing time with my
> solution/advise posted in your thread in povray.general ?

The function-solution you provided does look very interesting, but as
I am (not yet) that familier with functions, it would be rather difficult
to implement everything the way I want it to behave.
And, thinking about it, I'm not too sure if its just a different approach,
which may be faster, but doesn't provide as much insight. I cannot
check the function to see at which exact positions I placed objects.

I cannot export the function either, which is a drawback. With the
data-storage-system I'm using, I can have a little animation throw
a bunch of objects into the existing bundle very easily, with functions,
I guess I'd have to recalculate for every frame.

So I cannot actually compare the methods, cause I'm not too firm with
functions, and am not able to implement the same behaviour (adding 50
objects per frame). On a single-frame basis, your method might be
better, but not for animations. I can also use some fundamentals of the
systems to cook up a seeding algorithm (place initial seed, grow and
spread out from there), which isn't as easy with the function-system (I
need to keep track of every position created to seed from them).

Parsing time was 7:17 minutes for 2702 positions by trying to add
50 objects 150 times. I'll add a post how long it took to add 50*150
at once... Its not too bad, I guess, and, above all and as mentioned
before, I can access the actual data more easily, which will probably
be essential for some other algorithms I want to implement. Taking
pure placement would make your solution very favourable, I think.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde