POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : After long absence... Vegetation at Work! : Re: After long absence... Vegetation at Work! Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: After long absence... Vegetation at Work!
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 9 Jul 2002 00:36:02
Message: <3D2A6843.57C4C0A3@gmx.de>
> Looks promising.

Thank you, that's what I thought too! ;-)

> How many spheres are there and how long did it take to place them all? Are you
> using a blockmap?

I think there were something around 2600-something spheres, but I
didn't take track of how long it took to generate the places. Not too
long though, a few minutes (under ten). It tried 150 times to add another
50 to the existing ones. While processing, a grid is used (blockmap?), in
which the positions are stored, in order to check only nearby grids for
collisions, not the entire amount of exisiting objects, but in the end,
all positions are saved into a single file, which is then read to place the
spheres/grass-patches (for that I still need to write a macro).

> I like the grass colour, and the effect in the high density regions is good. The
> heightfield distorts my perspective somewhat though, because what looks like a
> mountain in the background must actually be a small mound (considering the scale
> of the grass).

Thanks, the grass was actually just taken from a similiar image (without
the vegetation algorithm) a few months ago, nothing too funky. Every grass-blade
gets a texture picked from a User-Defined array. Though the amount of
textures are hard-coded (once generated, a blade would always use index
5, for example), I can easily use the grass-patches and some different textures
to vegetate a different climate. Makes it more versatile in use.

Thanks for the comments!

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde