POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : After long absence... Vegetation at Work! : After long absence... Vegetation at Work! Server Time
15 Aug 2024 08:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  After long absence... Vegetation at Work!
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 8 Jul 2002 15:23:44
Message: <3D29E6C1.D81EF6AB@gmx.de>
Hi all!

After a long time of having produced nothing worthwhile to be shown,
I've spent the last few days to sort and implement a set of macros I've
had spinning in my head and experimenting with for a few weeks now.

First a few words to the images: Both use the same heightfields, and
both use the same positions for the grass-patches / spheres. The actual
effect created with the macros is found in the detail:

1. Objects don't intersect (based on radius, not actual object, so
grass-blades
may still intersect)
2. Placement is calculated by checking slope and irregularities of the
nearby vicinity (to avoid placing objects on a tip of an otherwise
unusable field)

The grass-patches are created with some specially written macros,
that make usage of the mesh-modelling-macros I've scripted for
my "Gerberas" image, and are no new invention, just a revisit of a WIP.

What's the purpose of this?
For one, grass never grows in single blades (at least not naturally), so
needed to create patches that I would place on a heightfield.
Then, these patches shouldn't overlap too much, which is why the
vegetation-algorithm avoids intersections.
And the slope should be taken into account, as well plateau-checking
(objects
won't be placed where some part would be hanging above a chasm).

Questions, comments, suggestions, criticism, all is welcome.

Please note though that the images are mere tests of the algorithms, and

are only designed to visually please on a secondary basis.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'veg_sph.jpg' (126 KB) Download 'veg_grs.jpg' (141 KB)

Preview of image 'veg_sph.jpg'
veg_sph.jpg

Preview of image 'veg_grs.jpg'
veg_grs.jpg