POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : the umpteenth time: removed features :( : Doc: hat still in 6.5.4.2 (possibly elsewhere) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Doc: hat still in 6.5.4.2 (possibly elsewhere)
From: andrel linnenbank
Date: 24 Jun 2002 14:00:56
Message: <3D175E82.77052479@amc.uva.nl>
I very much prefer the hat notation too. Also I was
playing with isosurfaces today and in 6.5.4.2 was the
simple exapmple:

isosurface{
 function{ x^2+y^2+z^2}
}

which we apparently now have to encode as

 function{ pow(x,2)+pow(y,2)+pow(z,2) }

see why I prefer the hat?
If the only reason to eliminate the hat is that
there is some confusion on the precedence, please
put it back and make sure the documentation is
correct. Also Thorsten, when making such big changes
on the syntax, communicate it to the guys who do the
doc. Now you have broken a number of examples from
the documentation.

As a further note, precedence is always a difficult
thing. There are even variations between countries.
In Holland the precedence rules are that the order
for binary operators is: ^ * / + -
and none has the same precedence. So 2*4/2 is 4 not 1
When something unexpected happens I always check
precedence and use superfluous parenthesis, just to be
sure :)

I still think POV is one of the best programs I ever
used, so keep up the good work.

	Andrel