POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : double_illumination + radiosity (37.2kb jpg) : Re: double_illumination + radiosity (37.2kb jpg) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 16:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double_illumination + radiosity (37.2kb jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 21 Jun 2002 20:08:47
Message: <3D13C009.2000807@caltel.com>
Artis wrote:

> Nice idea and image....
>
> ...but that's just a cheap trick, you have to use media (^&

The problem with subsurface scattering via media is that the light still
passes through in a straight line. The light isn't made diffuse after
exiting the object, so all you get on the other side are objects that
have clean shadows. I can only imagine how long a render would take with
radiosity and media coupled together! This trick actually simulates the
effect rather accurately, as far as I can tell.
But I know you must just be kidding, because who would want another
person to endure a month-long render? ;)

--
Samuel Benge

sbe### [at] caltelcom