POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Write-issues... : Re: Write-issues... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:13:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Write-issues...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 21 Jun 2002 06:18:07
Message: <3D12FD5F.652D3783@gmx.de>

> IMO The reason why beta-test group exist is that usually reports first are
> verified by the users and _after_ confirmations programmers tries to fix it.
> As date of linux release shows programmers have enough tasks with RL. It is
> hard to help them and confirm and investigate anything without a little bit of
> wrongly worked script and comparision of system parameters. The excpected
> behaviour is IMO that after exiting if something is not written then buffer is
> moved to file and then file is closed. But 6.2.3.2 is not precise about it.
>
> ABX

Hm, okay. We'll leave it at that, and I'll just expect POV to finish
the #write-command while scripting. I'm not too sure about that
buffer you're talking, I would be expecting POV to write to
disk as soon as it sees #write, but internally close the file, making
output to that file impossible, when using #fclose.
IMHO #fclose is needed when you want to make sure that
your system doesn't interact with another one which uses the same
file-handles. So, one system might open a file, naming it _O (I always
do), and when its finished, the system should #fclose _O, so in
case another system open another file with _O as handle, it
doesn't issue a warning and doesn't think we're using the same
file...

I think I'll stay settled with #write is done when its called, unless
some POV-Team member tells me different...

And regarding the bug-issue etc you're mentioning at the beginning:
I told you, I was not sure if it belonged here... :-)

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde