POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: Pyvon Linux editor : Re: Pyvon Linux editor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:14:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pyvon Linux editor
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 29 May 2002 15:02:01
Message: <3CF525DB.80705@comtrade.ee>
Fabien wrote:
> I have posted the latest release of Pyvon at p.b.utilities
> Beware it's now 127 Kb large.
>
> Any comments welcomed.

It would be good, if programming is made in _lingua franca_ of internet,
i.e. in English. By this I mean, that comments, variables, method names
etc. are in English. Now it is your private project and this might not
seem important, but I think that this Pyvon has good potential and it
could become common tool for non-windows (and why not for windows!)
platform, as it is done in high-level language and quite
platform-independently. So perhaps in future it will be project,
inovolving many people? In such case having consistent naming and style
ensures better readability of code (which is important thing for
maintenance and further development).
I have also thought about need for such cross-platform interface in some
high-level scripting language (tcl/tk or Python), but haven't had time
to do it. Why in scripting language? Because it is easy to port, it
allows iterative development and easier maintenance. And in case of user
interface speed of compiled code is not so important (although memory
consumption could become issue). Anyway, it's good to see, that someone
has same thoughts and got something working already, this inspired me so
much, that I took Python book from my work and intend at least get more
familiar with Python (I can't promise, that I will read this book from
cover to cover, as it is >800 pages and quite possibly somewhat
outdated, as it is from year 1996).
Anyway, keep up good work! So far I've used under Linux midnight
commander for POV-Ray development (can't stand Emacs!), but seems, that
these days will be gone soon :-)
BTW, if you intend to post your further versions to p.b.u., then perhaps
it would be better to cancel older versions (to avoid unnecessary server
space consuming and possible use of older versions by someone?)