POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : elastic cube 2 (1.1 MB) : Re: elastic cube 2 (1.1 MB) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: elastic cube 2 (1.1 MB)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 May 2002 11:21:50
Message: <3CED090D.A33FB984@gmx.de>
Gergely Vandor wrote:

> [...]
>
> Cristoph: here's a pic to show the spring arrangement. All of the
> cylinders are springs starting from the yellow (corner) node. Maybe it's
> understandable now, if it isn't, I give up. :) So the green springs are
> twice the length as others, connecting every second node. I dunno if
> that's any good, I just read about it somewhere, and I liked the idea.

Sorry for the late reply, i have been away for the last few days.  I
understand your system now, the purpose of the green springs is to create
bending elasticity (they are only compressed, not expanded).  I have not
tried this technique so far, but it could be useful (although linear
elasticity would probably not be very good in this case).

> [...]
>
> BTW, I think I've come up with a solution for damping. Take two
> consecutive timesteps, and measure how much the distance of two connected
> nodes changes. This way you get the relative speed of these two nodes,
> which you can use to calculate the damping of the spring connecting them.
> This should work I guess.

This is about what i tried (i'm storing the speed of each mass so
calculating the relative speed is no problem). But math is not that
simple, especially not whan working with functions.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______