POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB : Re: elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: elastic cube, pov code, 800 kB
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 May 2002 11:45:05
Message: <3CE52586.FFFA0372@gmx.de>
Gergely Vandor wrote:

> [...]
>
> There are no 3D diagonal springs. I'll try to describe the system again :)
>
> So there are diagonal springs on the sides of the subcubes (if you look at
> the anim, the cube is made up of 4*4*4=64 pieces of what I call subcubes).
> Also if you start from a corner, and go any direction, the first node is
> connected with the second *and* the third as well, and so on. (The second
> is connected with the third and the fourth, etc.) This is something I read
> about in a paper about cloth simulation somewhere. I hope it's more
> understandable now, it's not that easy to explain for me. :)

Not really since i don't know how you number the nodes, but from this and
the last post i conclude you have the cube grid of axis parallel springs
connecting neighboring nodes and two diagonal springs forming an 'x' on
every elementary 'square' in the system.

> Damping is not really modelled. :) I just multiplied the speed of every
> node with a value like 0.9995 or something at every timestep. If you have a
> better solution for spring damping pleeeeeaaase let me know. :)

I have on paper, but i did not yet have success implementing it
('exploding' cubes are funny, but not really useful...)

> I also faintly remember that Hooke's spring constant is in fact *not*
> constant when the length of a spring changes beyond a certain point. And
> I'd like to try objects with different stiffness at different points...
> Physics can really be fascinating. :)

For materials like rubber there is not much linear elasticity anyway,
metals can be modelled as linear until they experience permanent
deformation (which would also be interesting to model BTW).

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______