POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: ball simulation 2 (2x500k) : Re: ball simulation 2 (2x500k) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 19:31:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ball simulation 2 (2x500k)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 15 May 2002 13:37:16
Message: <3CE29CC1.2B05A590@gmx.de>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> It's an amazing accomplishment.

Thank you.

> I'm "bothered" by the ball hitting the floor and then bouncing clear out of
> the tub.
>
> Perhaps you really mean viscosity rather than surf tension?

No, i mean surface tension.  Drag is already modelled correctly although i
was surprised by the effect not being very strong too.  I use a kinematic
viscosity of 1e-6 m^2/s which seems a reasonable value for water.  Maybe i
should change to some kind of oil...

About that ball: don't forget the balls in that animation are fairly
light, the surface tension effect is fairly strong in means of bodies
sticking to the surface in such situations.  Without it the balls are
simply jumping back.

> Have you seen Stoke's Law?
> http://www.science.ubc.ca/~geol256/notes/ch7_sedmov_intro.html
> http://www.phys.virginia.edu/classes/152.mf1i.spring02/Stokes_Law.htm