POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) : Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cigarette Smoke Test (304kbu)
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 13 May 2002 19:15:02
Message: <3CE048A2.842E44B9@onwijs.com>
Rune wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote:
>
> BTW Remco, though it's not very much we hear from you, I've noticed a
> few messages from you now and then. It's good to see that you're still
> around here in the newsgroups. :)

I have used POV a lot (a bit too much) for a project (a series)
I've worked on for about 18 months. I was already working on two
new titles when the publisher pulled the plug. When I started
with it it was the publisher who insisted I use 3D graphics (and
POV was the most obvious choice for me - free).
Now I'm working on another series, for another publisher, and
the man in charge their wants no 3D graphics at all. It's a
fairly low price product where there shouldn't be too much
'fluff'.
I was a bit disappointed at first but actually I'm glad now
because I've been working on it about a year and with 7 titles
on the market and a handfull of other already or almost finished
it is enough work as it is.

I check out these groups once in a while (a bit more frequent
the last few days) as a sort of diversion. I only use POV for
small stuff and I keep a safe distance from the advanced stuff
people like you are working on. It is tempting but way beyond my
scope.

It is still interesting to see what is going here in the
animations department.
Unfortunately I made the mistake of downloading the full version
of "Tripping the Rift" (is that the correct title). Now I know
what I'd _like_ to be doing (but never will).

How are things on your end (besides the continuing stream of
POVxperiments you keep producing)?

> Rune
> --

Cheers!

Remco

BTW - about the smoke, I don't really know about the inversion,
it was just the first thing that occurred to me. The part about
the small curls in the smoke is true though. If you don't want
to take up smoking (you could make a living out of it) you could
buy some incense (it's cheap) to check it out. I'm not sure if
that behaves in the same way as cigarette smoke.