POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cell Shader: my try : Re: Cell Shader: my try Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cell Shader: my try
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 2 May 2002 15:10:51
Message: <3CD18F3B.1090405@comtrade.ee>

> Before wasting to much of your time patching and for my own enlightment,
> is there any real interest for this kind of shader information ?

Don't know. Perhaps not, as POVMan itself is already niche product. But
this is my way of wasting time and perhaps I can learn something during
this process :-)

> What does it allow to make ?
Analytical anti-aliasing. Of course this can be achieved with POV-Ray
means and probably more efficiently. Additionally, writing shaders which
antialiase well ain't easy task (although one can use number of already
created shaders).
But if analytical antialiasing is too complex for given shader, then
shaders frequency could be limited, if we know sampling frequency (IOW
surface derivatives). This approach could be applied to many shaders,
which use noise or its variants. (Of course more-or-less similar results
could be achieved by giving estimated derivatives as parameters, but
this works only for fairly 'flat' shapes.)
Other application is nonphotorealistic shaders. Cel shading is one of
them, other application could be shaders in 'Pen-and-Ink', woodblock or
engraving style. (PDF document describing pen and ink rendering could be
found at
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/winkenbach96rendering.html
though not directly renderman related. ARM book contains shader, which
gives similar results).

> For the time being, I even hardly see any interest even just for
> the edge detection/celluloid thing...
> so I wonder if it is really worth something.
Yes, it could be discouraging. There is quite number of patches, which
have very little recognition, either because they are hard to use or
they are too specific or they copy already existing functionality.

But there are other areas in shader support, which could be implemented
or improved. One of them is displacement shader, which could give nice
support for displacement, other is light shader, which could be used for
creation of user-specified light-sources. Or Imager shader, which could
be used for post-processing image. Or support for transformations
between camera and screen spaces, which give more flexibility to
shaders. So possibilities for shaders are huge, if I had only time enough...