POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cell Shader: my try : Re: Cell Shader: my try Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cell Shader: my try
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Date: 2 May 2002 06:55:49
Message: <3CD11B38.672EF733@atosorigin.com>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> [Snip]

> I intend to create method for POV-Ray objects, which returns surface
> derivatives and implement it for 'parametrizable' objects (as you put
> it: 'safe approach'). For other objects dummy implementation (or
> approximation??) could be made. This is not 'perfect' solution, but it
> allows to use some advanced shaders with POV-Ray (current implementation
> of shader support is limited and it will not be fully supported anyway,
> for it would require too much work, easier would be to use RenderMan
> compliant renderer in such case).

Before wasting to much of your time patching and for my own enlightment,
is there any real interest for this kind of shader information ?
What does it allow to make ?
For the time being, I even hardly see any interest even just for
the edge detection/celluloid thing...
so I wonder if it is really worth something.

P.S.: These questions are serious, not rethorical or ironical.
I would really be interested in URLs which show the advantage of such
derivative information for a shaders, so feel free to reference pages
that contain Renderman pictures...

--
Non Sine Numine
http://grimbert.cjb.net/