POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : [brazil] Athene WIP : Re: [brazil] Athene WIP Server Time
16 Aug 2024 02:33:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [brazil] Athene WIP
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 29 Apr 2002 19:46:55
Message: <3CCDDC0E.720CFAA5@unforgettable.com>
Tom Melly wrote:

> "Jan Walzer" <jan### [at] lzernet> wrote in message news:3ccd735e@news.povray.org...
> > "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote :
> > > It's certainly tricky to work out what they've done with the light. It says
> > > "pointlight", but the shape looks more like a spotlight.
> >                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > interesting, why do you think, it's a spotlight?
> > I see currently no argument to state that ... I'm interested
> > in the details, why you think it is one ...
> >

> If you look at the back wall and the ceiling, it seems round with a defined
> edge? Ignore the light falling on the statue, and just look at the brightest
> light on the back wall/ceiling.
>
> Of course, the same effect could be achieved by placing the pointlight on the
> other side of a round window.

In POV-Ray, even a spotlight is technically a point light of sorts; the
light emanates from a single point, not from a diffuse surface or array
of points or something like that. Instead of trying to figure out how to
emulate the Brazil lighting with a plain vanilla light (which will, as
pointed out, put way too much light on the statue) why not just use a
spotlight to begin with?

-Xplo