POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : DivX solutions for mac? : Re: DivX solutions for mac? Server Time
18 May 2024 04:35:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DivX solutions for mac?
From: Tom Stone
Date: 28 Apr 2002 13:07:04
Message: <3CCC2BD0.47364553@swipnet.se>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> So, as they have filed patents nobody can right now make any other (legal)
> codec and you are forced to use what they offer or not use DivX.  As their
> patent claim makes obvious it is simply a proprietary video encoding
> technology developed by a company called DivXNetworks, Inc :-(

Thanks Thorsten.
I've read the suggestions at
http://www.divx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=30536&forum=14
and it seems like it is easier to avoid DivX-movies, than to go through all that
hassle.

Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a working version around, like an
unofficial beta, or a hacked one.

> I would suggest to contact the authors of the DivX movies you want to watch
> and ask them to supply their video in a free, open and standard format such a
> MPEG-1.

I think that it is more likely that I would get the answer that I should get a PC
instead.
Don't want to be responsible for yet another Mac/PC argument, so I'll just leave
it alone.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.
Tom