POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Library (wip) : Re: Library (wip) Server Time
15 Aug 2024 20:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Library (wip)
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 28 Apr 2002 10:29:16
Message: <3CCC0775.BDF0167D@iro.umontreal.ca>
Jaime Vives Piqueres wrote:

> Anyhow, I had the same problem with
> the colors of randomly textured books, and finally only found a

> solution:
> use random amounts of gray to dirt up the colors.

I finally used gamut-constrained random colors. It looks more like
a classical library, but it looks nothing like my own library where
books appear to be of random colors.

> I'm considering also to
> make some searchs on the net for images of book spines: I'm not very
> comfortable using image_maps, but sometimes they are the right solution.

But the problem is when you have, say, 100 000 books, you can't
possibly have images maps for each of them. Even simple books
composed of a handful of primitives lead you to a 128 M scene.
Which is borderline for my computer :/ I thought of replacing far
away books with only a squashed cylinder + box, but it's not quite
as nice.

Best,

    S.

--