POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cassini : Re: Cassini Server Time
15 Aug 2024 20:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cassini
From: Yadgar
Date: 28 Apr 2002 07:31:18
Message: <3CCBDE61.80133EE7@tiscalinet.de>
High!

Blane Bizzaro schrieb:

  Here's that updated ringed planet image I was threatening to create...
  Cassini modeled with Truespace (sorry, I just like the TS modeling
  interface),
  Saturn, Cassini model (to scale 1 pov unit=1 foot), light sources, and
  textures rendered with Povray 3.1.

Impressive... what are the two moons in the lower left? The smaller, whitish
one looks like Enceladus, the more brownish to
the left might be Dione or Rhea? And in the lower right, that constellation
looks pretty much like the three belt stars of Orion,
even with the Orion Nebula below! Obviously, you used a simple cylindrical
projection of the whole night sky, such as the
Hipparcos mosaic from David Seal's site, and then you pepped it up with some
star clusters added with Universe...

But also some nitpicking: on most NASA pictures I know, Saturn has a
generally yellowish hue with subtle latitudinal bands,
not reddish-brown like here. Then I also think the rings should be somewhat
transparent... how far away from the viewpoint
are they?
And the metal housing of the Cassini probe looks strangely grainy, or worn...
is that intended?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Now playing: Tangram Set 1 (Tangerine Dream)