POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smooth patch : Re: Smooth patch Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth patch
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 23 Apr 2002 17:41:00
Message: <3CC5D4A6.DEC2135@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> >
> > Shay, when you say 'dividing a buckey into "pies"
> > one time', do you mean that you start with a
> > Buckyball (i.e. a Buckminsterfullerene) ?
> >

> Well, I cheated really. I started with an icosahedron and split each
> triangle into four. This gives an itentical result with less math.

I've been staring on the icosahedrons on this page;

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Icosahedron.html

for several minutes now, but I cannot see how such
an icosahedron can be transformed into a buckyball
by dividing each of its triangles into 4 smaller
triangles.

I can see though, how it can be be done if each of
its triangles are divided into 3 smaller triangles
and 1 hexagon.

Do the results become the same after 1 or 2 further
triangle subdivisions ?
(Assuming that one normalizes and then scales each
vertex vector equally.)

Tor Olav