POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values : Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 21 Apr 2002 13:08:12
Message: <3CC2F1A6.7000003@skynet.be>
Felix Wiemann wrote:

> The disc-cylinder can't be calculated, because the normal isn't known.

Your explanations are mostly right, but belongs to POV-Ray's internal
cooking.  From a user's point of view, managing exceptions in #macros or
loops can be annoying.  All in all, I still think that simply removing
the 'degenerate' object is the best thing POV-Ray can do.

I guess that the degenerate triangle doesn't stop parsing because
it would be a PITA to manually remove one or two triangles from
a several thousand triangles externally generated mesh.  If an
external utility generated a net of cylinders, for example, to
represent a mesh as a wireframe, it would still be a PITA to
catch the degenerate ones.  That's why POV-Ray should remove
them with a simple warning, and not stop.

Fabien.