POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values : Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Round_Box #macro (in shapes.inc) and negative values
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 21 Apr 2002 12:12:35
Message: <3CC2E49D.6070609@skynet.be>
Anders K. wrote:

> I've been meaning to report this problem forever. The other problem that I
> had noticed with Round_Box is that if the radius is exactly half the length
> of one of the edges, you get "Parse Error: Degenerate cylinder, base point =
> apex point".

Maybe it's time to fix an inconsistency between primitives.
Here's how RC1 acts with zero-dimension volumes :

box {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>}
  Rendering goes without a warning.

cylinder {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>,1}
  Parsing stops with an error.

cone {<10,10,10>,1,<10,10,10>,2}
  Parsing stops with an error.

triangle {<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>,<10,10,10>}
  Rendering goes, but a warning is issued.

plane {0,0}
   Parsing stops with an error.

torus {0 0}
  Rendering goes without a warning.

sphere {0,0}
   Rendering goes without a warning.

Of course, these are very specific cases, but they can easily
happen in scenes with automatic object generation.  IMO, the
best thing that POV-Ray should do is render anyway, with a
warning, as it currently does with 'degenerate' triangles.

Fabien.