POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dispersion photons... No good... : Dispersion photons... No good... Server Time
15 Aug 2024 22:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Dispersion photons... No good...
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 20 Apr 2002 19:39:27
Message: <3CC1FC0C.FE14509@gmx.de>
I've been working on my Gerbera-Image and tried
to use the dispersion of photons for a more realistic
look.
When tracing with a spacing of .0001 and using
a dispersion of 1.01, I get something around
40 million photons and the saved file is
over 750MB big.

Nontheless, the effect (though I've enlargened
the radius of a photon not by 5, as mentioned
in the docs, but by 7) is more or less useless.
It takes 2.5 hours to calculate the image, and the
result just isn't worth it.
Here's a close-up.

In case you're saying: "Well, THAT close..."

The image needs to be traced in extreme
sizes, so that I can print it with a very
good Laserprinter with incredible amount
of detail.

I'll be experimenting with three lightsources
(one for red, green and blue) and look if I
can get satisfying results that way.

Any comments, suggestions?

--
Tim Nikias