POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Testing realism again : Re: Testing realism again Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:15:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing realism again
From: Jaime Vives
Date: 9 Apr 2002 09:56:15
Message: <3CB2F382.7050404@ignorancia.org>
Hugo wrote:

> By using "trial-and-error" and all my knowledge about raytracing, I did this
> today. A few things will be easy to fix, such as the brightness of the red
> color, and the too strong reflection on the white tube-head.

   Very good! The red color seems "tood red", and a bit more reflectant.

> I was surprised that I needed heavy "variable reflection" to get the right
> look. Are there any references for real life values?

   I too needed a heavy variable reflection and falloff for the floor of
my office WIP... very difficult to adjust.

> I used one area_light with strength 1.. Is that wrong, or not important
> unless I add other light_sources?
> I didn't use fade_power, but I guess that's correct for the sun?

   Well, if you are not using fading, a strenght of 1 seems fine.
Perhaps radiosity needs a bit more brightness?

> I used focal blur with 30 samples, but the anti-aliasing between red and
> grey is not as good as the photo, while the shadows look pretty much the
> same.. Do you have any idea why?

   30 blur_samples only? :)

> Other comments will be welcome!  :o)

   As someone said, the most apreciable difference is that colourful
grain on the photo. But I don't know how to imitate that inside pov...

   Again, very good!

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org/