POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just simple scenes for testing realism : Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism Server Time
16 Aug 2024 00:21:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just simple scenes for testing realism
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 6 Apr 2002 13:08:57
Message: <3CAF3A1C.29C18A5B@unforgettable.com>
Hugo wrote:

> Maybe you refuse to bother because of all these spheres, but they're my
> recent attempts at realistic raytracing. What do you think; is there a photo
> hiding? What is definitely not photo? Why?

1. Not a photo. Sphere material seems unrealistic.

2. Not a photo, but it might be with different material for center and
right sphere. Reflection in left sphere and ground convincing, as is shading.

3. Definitely not a photo. Shadow on white sphere darker than shadow on
gray ground, especially considering only one highlight on sphere!

4. Definitely not a photo. Good texture on ground, but left object seems
blurry somehow. "Halo" effect on inside edge of sphere seems to have no cause.

5. Could be a photo. Extremely convincing.

6. Not a photo. Unsure exactly why, but heavy shading under the blue
objects where they (maybe) should be better lit may contribute to failure.

I would like to say, though, that all in all these are very nice, and
could probably put a lot of other renderers to shame, or at least match
them. Thanks go to everyone who's gone to lengths to play with radiosity
and lighting and show the rest of us how it's done; Kari Kivisalo comes
to mind, but there were many other contributors, including yourself as
we can see here.

-Xplo