POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Anti-aliasing : Re: Anti-aliasing Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:13:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anti-aliasing
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 1 Apr 2002 14:50:49
Message: <3CA8BA16.BA81CE26@luxlab.com>
Micha Riser wrote:

> But I think it makes the lines also appear thicker
> than they are.

Which brings us to the question of optimal sampling filter
for 2D signal. My theory is that the artefacts in the default
povray aa and mosaic filtered image appear because the sampling
filter is a rigid box. This produces a ringing efect. This can
be avoided by sacrificing higher frequencies and using a smooth
edged filter.

This increases noise but reduces sampling artefacts:
+am1 +a0.0 +r9 +j13.5

It's always a trade-off :(

Kari Kivisalo