POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Turbulent Isosurface box? : Re: Turbulent Isosurface box? Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Turbulent Isosurface box?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 23 Mar 2002 12:05:15
Message: <3C9CB5CA.CA4992BB@gmx.de>
Patrick Dugan wrote:

> That type would certainly be close. I am looking for a more "slate
> like"/"platey" appearance but that might get me started.
> Can you be more specific about the function?  I have tried the function but
> simply end up with a "rounded box." I tried:
>
>   isosurface {
>      function {f_rounded_box(x,y,z, 0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 0.25) }
>      pigment{Red}
>      scale 0.5
>   }
>
> I'm no math whiz so I'm really not certain what the last four values should
> really be.  I've tried various values but always end up with a simple
> rounded box.  How do you get yours to look so randomish?  I even tried using
> [...]

When looking for 'f_rounded_box' in the docs you get:

f_rounded_box(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3).
The Rounded Box is defined in a cube from <-1, -1, -1> to <1, 1, 1>.
By changing the " Scale" parameters, the size can be adjusted,
without affecting the Radius of curvature.

P0 : Radius of curvature. Zero gives square corners, 0.1 gives corners
that match "sphere {0, 0.1}"
P1 : Scale x
P2 : Scale y
P3 : Scale z

If you add/subtract a noise function to the box this should probably
achieve what you want, something like:

f_rounded_box(...) - f_noise3d(x, y, z)*0.2

(see docs section 3.6.3.6)

And you should add an appropriate container and max_gradient to the
isosurface.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,