POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gerbera Take 2 : Re: Gerbera Take 2 Server Time
16 Aug 2024 04:22:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gerbera Take 2
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 20 Mar 2002 00:47:33
Message: <3C98226F.E619EF0E@gmx.de>

> I'm currently working on a flower. My only problem is the lack of time.
> Finally it should join the scene of the fern.

What kind of flower?

> Texturing is just one single texture statement. It doesn't really matter on
> what object you apply it?

Well, I meant the texture-modelling, like what finishes to use,
patterns and colors, normals (if any or rather use turbulenced
mesh)...

> My macros currently take two splines (stem of the petal and outline) and
> combine this to a smooth 3D mesh, add some optional wrinkles, normal
> distortion and so on.
> The other way (the way the fern uses) creates a point array for the leaf
> outline, a stem path and then the macros align the outline along the stem.
> The rest is as described above.
> Textures are created in an array (e.g. for aging or just to have some
> variance) which are then transformed to fit onto the mesh.

Are you doing UV-Mapping on the fern or flowers? I'm thinking if
that wouldn't make some things easier, for example gradients of
colors which band from the stem to the outside rim...

> Funny coincidence. Doing plants with meshes :-)

Well, take 3DS-Max, or Cineme4D, and you'll end up using
meshes all the time. As I gather, there has been a recent mesh-fanatism
going on, with tesselation of complex objects etc.

--
Tim Nikias