POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desert Landscape take 3 (89kbu) : Re: Desert Landscape take 3 (89kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desert Landscape take 3 (89kbu)
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 19 Mar 2002 14:35:51
Message: <3C979314.583E7423@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> [...]
> > using such strong and large scale normals is always
> > problematic.
>
> I'm not using very strong or large scale normals IMO.

That depends on your point of view.  The normals are large scale in
contrast to small scale structures you would use for sand or gravel and
they are strong enough to cause shadows if they were not only normal
perturbations.

> > Using the same pattern for the texture as for the
> > heightfield might be useful.
>
> Wouldn't that just give identical results as if I used a gradient y pattern?

Not if you add some turbulence (or use less turbulence than for the
heightfield).

Christoph.

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,