POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) : About This may be my first *complete* scene (75K) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  About This may be my first *complete* scene (75K)
From: Eitan Tal
Date: 16 Mar 2002 17:08:23
Message: <3C93C264.85355582@netvision.net.il>
Hi! I liked your image with all the stuff floating over the water! You've just
inspired me and gave me new ideas! Thanks!

jimbobjim wrote:

> Hi
> A few days ago I saw this link in povray.off-topic
> http://www.henrywagner.org/povray/images/field1.htm and decided to re-create
> the scene.
> I got a fair-ish representation last week and added the poser people and the
> boat today.
>
> Although I have a question about what pov does during the parse stage.
> During test renders I was using ~30,000 objects (pyramid2 from shapes.inc)
> for which the total trace time was just a few minutes. For the final render
> I used ~60,000 of these objects and even though the trace only took a few
> minutes, pov took 25 minutes to during the parse to create light and vista
> buffers. Is there anything I can do to speed this process up? I changed the
> union to a mesh in the pyramid2 definition and that helped loads - peak
> memory used dropped from 50Mb to about 14Mb in the 30K object case - but on
> the final render peak memory was 125Mb and my machine has only 64Mb so
> windows was thrashing the virtual mem a bit. (maybe I just answered my own
> question)

You're saying you got not enough memory? I can't stand it that technical
problems stop others from working with povray. I'll get you additional 64Mb or
128Mb memory RAM as a favor from a friend! I need to know what memory type do
you want (SDRam or the newer one)

> Thanks
> Jim

Well done!! Keep up the good work!