POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Blow up! take 2 (498kbu) : Re: Blow up! take 2 (498kbu) Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:29:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blow up! take 2 (498kbu)
From: Mark James Lewin
Date: 14 Mar 2002 19:01:42
Message: <3C913918.65E6AA45@yahoo.com.au>
Hugo wrote:

> > Your efforts are superb but an explosion anim that is convincing to non-CG
> aware
> > people is a difficult challenge.
>
> I think the opposite. There are lots of people who don't know what a
> computer is. And actually most people I know have no idea what a computer is
> capable of doing, so they'll think an explosion like this is terribly real.
> Even I might believe it's real.
>
> Hugo

    People may not know what a computer is capable of doing, but most are able to
see if something is "not quite right", even if they cannot tell you exactly what
is causing this feeling (and these things are often subtle and difficult to
include in CG).
    Even the best modelling of a scene can look generated or fake in some way,
but add area_lights, radiosity, and perhaps some focal blur, and the illusion of
reality is increased because the some of the things that are "not quite right"
(eg. sharp shadows, unnatural shading) are being eliminated.

MJL

--
prism{0,.1,30#local I=1;#while(I<30)#local B=asc(substr(// Mark James Lewin
"#K?U_u`V[RG>3<9DGPL.0EObkcPF'",I,1))-33;<div(B,10)-4mod(B,10)+5*div(I,21)-