POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : to the honor of the Pov/MegaPov developers : Re: to the honor of the Pov/MegaPov developers Server Time
16 Aug 2024 12:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: to the honor of the Pov/MegaPov developers
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 14 Mar 2002 18:20:48
Message: <3C912F70.286F59B@hotmail.com>

> > You'll find several POV-diamond images and links
> > to web pages about diamond cuts if you traverse
> > the threads that this search will list:
> >
> > http://news.povray.org/search/?s=Diamond
>
> *lol* it seems that diamonds are traced approx. 10 times a year *g*
> I didn't know that diamonds are so popular :-)

Yes, as many other topics it seems that
diamonds reappear quite often in these
groups.

> Well: my story is: I was looking for something completely different (already
> forgot what exactly) and fell over a diamond-ideal-cut-property-picture
> showing exact properties of the thing. It was interesting and so I continued
> looking for exact physical properties of a diamond (especially IOR) which I
> found rather quickly.
> You can imagine the rest :-)

I find the diamonds shapes and their internal
reflections very interesting. So I hope I soon
can find time to make some more diamond images.
(But there are so many other POV experiments
that I just have to do first...)

Here are IOR's for many real-world materials:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.utilities/15777/

IOR_Isotropic.inc has IOR values for diamonds

> BTW: most pictures I saw in these threads were pretty deep cuts which don't
> reflect properly. Strange. Either all made the same mistake or they all used
> the same model?

It has been a while since I worked with
"perfect cut" diamond shapes, so I don't
quite remember if I was totally satisfied
with my shapes.

Btw.: Are you really sure that the girdle
lines should be "roundish" ?

Tor Olav