POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the power of crackle : Re: the power of crackle Server Time
16 Aug 2024 06:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the power of crackle
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 10 Mar 2002 16:44:39
Message: <3C8BD3C2.7F80B4CE@gmx.de>
Tek wrote:

> I've been messing around with the crackle pigment, and got a couple of good
> effects :)
>
> The first one's an iso surface that looks a bit like a city. It looks more
> city-like from a low camera angle, but I did this orthographic view to use a s a
> desktop backdrop :) BTW, this one took nearly 24 hours to render!! I'm gonna
> have to find a way to speed it up.

You will always have serious problems with such infinite gradient
functions.  There are no strongly visible artefacts at this scale, but in
a more detailed view you will surely see them.

Using conventional objects instead, preferably meshes, would be much more
efficient.

See for example:

http://www.interq.or.jp/blue/kawashu/include/i04.html

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/12339/