POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : "Meshyfied" Bezier patch (116KB) : Re: "Meshyfied" Bezier patch (116KB) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:11:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Meshyfied" Bezier patch (116KB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 7 Mar 2002 18:45:21
Message: <3C87F94B.A40A0FDF@hotmail.com>
Shay wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
>
> Looks good.

Thank you Shay.

> I played around with these surfaces the first time I saw them on a web page,
> but Povray has NOT taught me any patience, so I only ever use very simple
> isos for anything serious. I like the idea of having Povray build and create
> curves and shapes for me based on only a few control points, but I don't
> like the idea of waiting for my computer to perform the calculations every
> time I render.

Yes, at first I too was a bit discouraged
by the very slow rendering times of the
built in parametric {} shapes, but now I'm
eager to try out more of the ideas I have.

> Turning these surfaces into a mesh is a good idea. Your technique can
> probably be easily modified to build a surface around a cylinder, or one
> that doubles back over itself, something which I don't believe is possible
> with iso parametric surfaces.

I'm thinking and reading a bit now about
techniques for construction of different
types of parametric surfaces.

The main challenge is to write macros that
are general at the same time as they are
fast, memory efficient and user friendly
(and that they don't rely on declarations
of global variables).

My computer at home is really too slow to
use for exploration of the built in para-
metric surfaces, so I'm not quite sure of
its capabilities yet.

One thing would like to know is how it
generates the surface normals, especially
at the extremes of the u and v parameters.

Tor Olav