POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : smooth height_fields : Re: smooth height_fields Server Time
16 Aug 2024 14:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth height_fields
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 5 Mar 2002 06:02:00
Message: <3C84A5A3.A1855B05@gmx.de>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Ditto, but I fear it is too late for such deep changes in the 3.5
> > code.
>
> I think it would depend on how hard it is to find and fix. It would be a
> bug fix, not a new feature...

I just had a look at the 3.1/megapov source and found there is some change
in megapov supplying new interpolation routines, but it isn't activated
(HField->smooth_type is always 1)

The normal calculation code seems fairly understandable although i don't
have time to check it right now.

BTW, i wonder how much slower it would be not to store the normals and
calculate them from the vertices during trace.  This could save a lot of
space when dealing with large heightfields.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,