POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] : Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb]
From: Mark James Lewin
Date: 4 Mar 2002 18:53:01
Message: <3C840808.C06B7090@yahoo.com.au>
Tim Nikias wrote:

> And I think that the effect could be
> defined much more versatile if it wasn't "hardcoded" into
> the system.

I have furthered my idea, mainly for my own benefit (I was curious!) but I
thought you may be interested in this.

I have used my I/O particle simulatior in such a way that it mimicks a non-I/O
system such as yours. Particles were generated with velocities such that they are
shot away from the source. A little random velocity is added to prevent all the
particles having the same pos and vel.
No gravity, environment checking, my own wind, etc was used. Particle positions
were calculated for each frame.

To add my bozo like turbulence effect, I took the particle position, added the
turbulence, and placed a sphere there. The turbulenced position was not written
to the I/O file, only the unturbulenced position (this is so the system acts like
a non I/O system).

Wind is blowing upwards. I have deliberately overamphasized the turbulence
effect. The important part of the turbulence was that it was defined by a
pigment, and coded such that the user could define the pigment. There was very
little "hard coding" involved (I agree here that versatility is key)

I didn't bother with fancy textures etc., but I liked the turbulent effect. It
turned out better that I had expected so I thought I would post it.

MJL

--
text{ttf"timrom.ttf"concat(#local O=1;#while(O<7)chr(val(substr(concat(#local Q=
1;#while(Q<7)str(asc(substr("???<?>",Q,1))-56,0,0),#local Q=Q+1;#end""),O,2))),#

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'smokehack.mpg' (89 KB)