POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] : Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:29:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb]
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 4 Mar 2002 11:03:47
Message: <3C839AF9.B3C59FEB@gmx.de>
> I know. I'm afraid a non-I/O particle system is not well suited for
> turbulated wind.

Sadly, your right... :-(

> [snip] The problem is that the wind keeps pushing
> each particle in the same direction, which looks very weird. I think it
> would look better to not turbulate the wind at all and instead slightly
> randomize the initial directions. A missile or similar doesn't emit
> still-standing smoke anyway.

Just randomizing the initial directions would give similiar results. But
I've thought about adding a turbulenced vector, but with less effect
over time, so that after some set time, particles just move along
with the wind. I'll post an animation when its finished.

> Why is that a problem?? If the turbulence is as strong as the wind itself,
> then this could indeed happen. There's no laws in nature saying that wind
> turbulence is always perpendicular to the global wind direction!

Well, okay, you got me there. But since its all non-I/O, I have to
come up with ways that make sense (imagine a particle resting, whereas
nearby particles move along with the wind. In this non-I/O, the
resting particle would stay at rest, unless some parsing-intensive
time-stepping algorithm would be implemented).

After all, non-I/O does have drawbacks, but its power is the
flexibility of time (reversing time, stopping it, etc.). And, above
all, the system was created having the custom-effect in mind.
I/O particles are pretty flexible, but also pretty unpredictable,
that's what I'm trying to avoid.

--
Tim Nikias