POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] : Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb] Server Time
19 Jul 2024 21:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wind algorithm problem [MPG, 280kb]
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 3 Mar 2002 16:32:55
Message: <3C82969C.344DE21D@gmx.de>

> I think something looks fundamentally wrong in this animation. Each particle
> starts still but then accelerates in a specific direction. But what is it
> that pushes the particle in the same direction all the time? It doesn't make
> sense that the wind keeps pushing a particle in the same direction; as the
> particle moves, it would enter different air streams and change direction,
> or more likely eventually just follow the global wind direction. But your
> particles keep accelerating in the direction they started with, or at least
> it looks that way.

They actually do move only towards the direction they start with. I am thinking
about how to implement a wind-stream-type of simulation, but I also guess
I should remind you of the non-I/O aspects of my system.

Also, particles start still, they are just left behind by the rocket. The wind
then starts pushing them until they reach the speed the wind itself has.
(Imagine a soccer-ball. When there is wind blowing, it does not
change from "motionless" to "wind-speed" in an instant...)
But I exagerated the physics to make the algorithm easily to identify
(as you did, bravo!).

> This seems overly complicated. I suggest.
> -take a turbulenced vector and add it to the initial wind direction. And
> that's it.
>
> You will also avoid the problem with vcross this way, so you should get no
> abrupt changes.

I'll think about this one, but there are some drawbacks to this (like: the
turbulenced vector may come out as an inverse to the original
wind, then it would be nullified when added).
I'm still thinking about it, this was just a test.

Thanks for the suggestion and comment!

--
Tim Nikias