POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : request for special lens-like shape : Re: request for special lens-like shape Server Time
16 Aug 2024 08:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: request for special lens-like shape
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 3 Mar 2002 12:19:06
Message: <3C825B1F.47C5E1EB@gmx.de>

> A lathe is an interesting suggestion, but unfortunately lathes have the
> problem that cubic splines can't really go smoothly from a curve to a
> completely straight line without curving the opposite way first. It's almost
> impossible. :(

If you just use two or three exact same nodes after each other
(like [...]<0,3,0>,<0,3,0>,<0,3,0>,[...]) at the place the
straight shall start, and again some points where it ends,
you'll get a flat area without an abrupt change. I'm not sure
however how many (two at least) nodes you'll need for that. But
that should make lathe possible.

Concerning the iso, I'm haven't really looked at them yet, and
thus can give you no aid... :-(

--
Tim Nikias